Happy New Year to you all! I hope that you have had a restful (somewhat) and peaceful (as much as possible) holiday break, because it is a new year and fresh start if you want it to be. Or do you? January is the dreaded month of discipline for some…
Why do we have a hate-on for January?
- It’s cold and dark
- We have to go back to work or our normal, less-exciting routine
- We cannot justify our slovenly behaviour of overindulgence in sugar, chocolate, baking combined with little physical activity
- We are forced to acknowledge we have had a role in #3
- We are unable to talk ourselves out of #3 and #4 because everyone else is on a diet, exercising, or complaining about not wanting to do either
- The all-or-nothing behaviour that our species has been doing for centuries is ultimately exhausting to repeat and think about
Wouldn’t it be nice to go into January with a renewed sense of self that has been balanced and good during the holiday season without the frenzy of having to restart?
It would. It might also be a pipe dream.
10 Easy Ways to Start Your New Year with a Clearer Conscience
- Drink water.
- Eliminate white sugar for a few days.
- Have one caffeinated drink a day, preferably in the morning
- Bring your lunch a few times during the week.
- Introduce green vegetables into at least 2 parts of your day.
- Make sure that protein is a significant portion of each meal, whether vegetable or meat source.
- Try to eat more lean meats like turkey and chicken and or fish, possibly from organic sources.
- Forget you know anything about baked goods, cookies, or gingerbread men.
- Go to bed. Earlier than you have ever gone to bed before. You probably need double that amount.
- Try to be compassionate to everyone around you. How do you feel without cookies in your life?
- (Bonus) Remind yourself that if you mess up 1-9 you will do this all again next year.